Thursday, September 4, 2008

A Reality Check

So I guess I got a little dose of reality today and it frightened me quite a bit. A friend of my husband's lives in Texas and is a cop. Yesterday he was managing traffic during road construction on foot and an 18 wheeler crashed into him and fell on top of him. His left leg is crushed and runs the risk of amputation, his left arm is broken and has 3rd degree burns on it, and he had bleeding in his brain. His wife called and said that the doctors are optimistic about the situation and he should be ok. But oh my gosh! I guess you never really know what could happen until it happens to somebody else. Now logically I know that Noah doesn't run a huge risk of getting hurt like that because his job description is basically a security guard for the major government buildings. I've never been nervous about him going to work and getting hurt. But then I just thought, what if he does? Our family would be taken care of financially because Noah works for the state and has really good benefits, but still, it's a scary thought. Cops are targets for those crazies out there. Noah wears a bullet proof vest every day, but one day I asked him what would happen if they shot him in the face. Do you know what he said? He'd die. I wish he could walk around in some sort of bullet proof suit. No worries there. I guess when it comes down to it, life is really fragile. We could die at any time. I suppose when it comes down to it we're all constantly in the process of slowly dying. Way to have an optimistic outlook on life, huh?

1 comment:

Krystle Ricks said...

Well Thanks for that happy blog Sarah... NOT!!! But I completely agree with you. I really think we all believe we are invincible... destined to die old and in our sleep. I guess it's a little different for me and Barry since his Dad died so young. But, all we can do is be grateful for the time we have. Anyway, I wrote you a message on your facebook account... I hope you still use it! And I admire your husband for doing such a service-oriented job!!!